Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Birthday, vomitting, ER visits

Well, the titles really gives details as to why it has been silent here. Two Friday's ago, LJ started vomiting. He wasn't keeping anything but water down. Of course, this is two days before his 2nd birthday so I was hoping it was a fast acting bug. All day Saturday he pretty much was on the couch and vomiting. We celebrated his birthday Saturday and he was able to muster a smile for the cake and pictures but shortly after, there was blue vomit on my floor (from the icing). Saturday night it visited me taking me out of commission all day Sunday. Kaitlyn caught it Sunday night. The hubby skipped it all together...not fair. Kaitlyn was fine by Monday morning, as was I. LJ, on the other hand, was still vomiting. After a trip to the Dr and his inability to keep down pedialyte, we headed to the ER. No tests later, they gave him Zofran and sent us home. The zofran kept him calm so he could sleep but he was vomiting by the next morning. All week, he would eat something solid and it would come up. Needless to say, I was a wreck. For those who are not privy to the life with a heart baby, any signs of not feeling well and your mind jumps to heart failure. It's programmed in, not sure how to remove it. If LJ's potassium goes crazy, then so could his heart. Dropping weight is a nightmare for a heart kiddo and just seeing him not keep things down, it's hard. After 5 days I was worried that it wasn't a virus anymore and that maybe he has a blockage or early signs of failure. Yes, I was in tears with the nurse. I was a mess. Frustrated was putting it lightly. Day 7 came, he vomited. I told the nurse that he did it again that I was packing him up and going to Children's Hospital in St Louis (a three hour drive) since his cardiologist is there and they are more equipped to handle this. Over reacting? Maybe. But I was set to do it. Hearing that they couldn't do anything for LJ here since he was moderately hydrated was making me angry. LJ took pity on his mom and didn't vomit again. We have our happy little boy back and a week after his birthday, we were finally able to give him his present, a water table :) Here's too a healthier spring! BRING ON THE WARM WEATHER!

No comments: