Monday, April 25, 2011

I cut myself off

This weekend was set up to be a hectic one. Hubby was working until Friday night (we recently agreed to changing his schedule) something that was not happening when we made plans to go back to our parents' homes for Easter/the kids birthdays. This meant that we would be leaving town early Saturday morning and returning Sunday late afternoon....a very busy weekend made busier by the shortness of the trip.

The alarm went off at 5 AM on Saturday morning. We packed up the car and off we went. Three or so hours later we were pulling up in front of my parents' house. Know what I did? I DID NOT BRING MY PHONE. Nope. I made the decision to cut myself off. If someone needed to get a hold of me, there are several other avenues. I wasn't anticipating any major news so I just didn't bring it. To further that thought, I did not open facebook. I admit, I opened my email once on Sunday morning to make sure nothing crazy was happening (it wasn't).

I took that short trip to just focus on MY FAMILY, on being together, on living in the moment and just sucking up all the goodness I could. It was nice. I watched my kids open presents, hunt Easter eggs, pig out, eat cake, love on all of their family, and I didn't think twice about if there was a text sitting on my phone. There wasn't updating anyone but the present family members on my life and how things were going. And you know what? Nothing crazy happened.

Of course there are a million pictures that I took.....on my mom's camera. Hopefully those will get back to me soon. But it was a nice weekend. A nice week of connection in the midst of being disconnected.

No comments: