Monday, July 13, 2009

Jump Start

Time to jump start this blog. It has been a long time coming. Life has been incredibly busy and I will try to give a very brief summery.

1. In February we found out that our boy had a heart defect called Ebstein's Anomally. To boot, he also had another heart defect called pulmonary stenosis. I was sent to a high risk OB. High risk OB here in town told us that we couldn't deliver in town because the hospital cant handle pediatric cardiac surgery. I was referred to St. Louis, Mo.

2. Before my first appointment in St Louis, I went into preterm labor at 34 weeks along. I was drugged up here at the local hospital and sent to St Louis where labor stopped. I remained in St Louis for the baby's safety and had contractions on and off for two weeks

3. sure enough, at my 36 week appointment I go into labor. Called jim who was in champaign,.....no answer. Calll again and again and again...no answer. Once admitted I called our friend who went over and woke up Jim. Landon was born via c-section at 2:25 pm (i went in for an 11 am appointment) weighing in (nearly 4 weeks early) at 7 lbs 15 oz (yes, one OUNCE shy of 8 lbs) and 19.25 inches long (yes the 0.25 inches is that important to me). Jim didn't make it on time. My mom was the lucky one by my side. Horrible recovery this time.

4. Landon was rushed off to Childrens Hospital (connected to the hospital that I was in ) and placed in the NICU. After 24 hours he wasn moved to the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU). On day 5, he had a balloon catheder of his pulmonary valve. All was good.

5. 6 weeks later, the valve had shut back up. Repeated balloon catheder this past week and it failed.

6. Open heart surgery is scheduled for the end of the month.

So as you can see, very busy.

Kaitlyn absolutely loves her baby brother and is very protective of him. She is also building more and more of a vocabulary everyday. She never stops talking and is now using complete sentences. However breaking her of the paci is completely a different issue. She is active in her gymnastics class at the little gym. She also enjoys play dough, coloring, and watching any Disney Princess movie out there. She is also a fan of the movie Bolt. She likes having her nails painted. We also also dabbing into potty training but that isn't really going anywhere right now.

So that is for now. Like I said, I am hoping to jump start this blog and start adding pictures as we go along. I am sorry it took so long for me to do this.

3 comments:

Mike Severy said...

Hey friends - good to see you on the blog trail again. wow what a first update. I hope you all are hanging in okay. we'll be thinking of you.

Angie said...

Wow - it's great to hear from you again. I have a request for the next blog post - pictures! We miss you!!

Rebekah Wilson said...

Pictures it is...let me get to that.